Easy & Delicious, 5-Min Basil Pesto Recipe
During a recent trip to our local grocery store, I saw beautiful bunches of basil for sale. I'll be traveling quite a bit (and moving!) in the coming weeks, so I decided to pick some up and make a homemade pesto sauce to keep in the freezer. I had been reading a lot of articles about the best way to make pesto and decided to go with Daniel Gritzer's recipe from Serious Eats for the Best Pesto Recipe. I love how easy it was to put this together.
His recipe yields one cup of pesto. Next time I'll make this, I will likely double the recipe and freeze it in four ½ cup portions.
Step 1: Gather and prep your ingredients
Step 2: Crush garlic and salt in a mortar and pestle
J. Kenji Lopez-Alt article from Serious Eats writes a great article on why he uses a mortar and pestle to crush basil leaves instead of a food processor or blender.
Step 3: In small portions, add fresh basil leaves and crush with pestle
Step 4: Add pine nuts, crush with pestle
Step 5: Add cheese, crush with pestle
Step 6: Add olive oil, stir with wooden spoon
Step 6: Either enjoy now or freeze for later
Daniel Gritzer's Best Pesto Recipe
- 4 garlic cloves, whole
- 3 ounces basil leaves (without stems)
- 2 tablespoons pine nuts
- 2½ tablespoons grated Parmigiano Reggiano
- 2½ tablespoons Pecorino Fiore Sardo
- ½ cup (plus 2 tablespoons) mildly flavored extra-virgin olive oil
- Generous pinch course sea salt
- Combine garlic and sea salt in a mortar and pestle, grind to a paste
- Add basil leaves, one handful at a time. Combine until all basil leaves have been crushed to fine bits and have released their green liquid.
- Add pine nuts, crush with pestle.
- Add both cheese, use pestle to grind into a paste
- Slowly drizzle in olive oil, stir with wooden spoon. If you're going to transfer to a jar or Souper Cubes™ tray, top with a small layer of olive oil.
Looking for other pasta sauce recipes, check out one of my all-time favorites: One-Pot Slow Cooked Tomato Sauce Recipe
Ready to start cooking? Don't forget to put a two-pack of Souper Cubes® in your cart. Freeze food in perfect portions.