My parents came to visit us last weekend and brought with them tons of fresh fruit and vegetables. Jake ended up having to leave town for a work conference, which means I was left with a lot more veggies than I could go through in a week by myself. Growing up, whenever my mom bought too much of something, she'd always find a way to repurpose it before it spoiled. I remember having endless jams during the summer months when she went overboard on fruits and berries at the market and lots of various soups for when veggies were towards the end of their shelf life. I decided I didn't want the vegetables she got us to go to waste, so I threw them all together in a pot to make a delicious vegan stock. The recipe is fairly flexible and if you have extra veggies in the fridge that aren't in my recipe, I'd throw them in there too. Really, you could think of this recipe as a: dump all your veggies into one pot and simmer away! Even after using a lot of the stock to make mushroom risotto, we were left with 10 cups to freeze! This recipe typically yields ~16 cups of stock.
Recipe below pictures.
How to Make Easy Vegan Stock
Step 1: Clean and prep all the vegetables you're going to use
Step 2: Heat up oil in a pot. Add carrots, onions, and celery. Cook down for 5-7 minutes.
Step 3: Once cooked down, add mushrooms. Stir and cook for 3-4 minutes.
Step 4: Add the remaining vegetables and fill pot with water
Step 5: Simmer for at least 90 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste.
Step 6: Once done, strain with a fine-mesh strainer.
Step 7: Enjoy now or save/freeze for later
MICHELLE'S EASY VEGAN STOCK RECIPE
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 90+ minutes
- 1 large onion, peeled and diced
- 4-5 carrots, peeled and diced
- 5 stalks of celery, diced
- 1 leek, sliced in half
- 3 zucchini, diced
- 1 cup of mushrooms, sliced
- 1 head of garlic
- 1 small cauliflower, cut into pieces (optional)
- 3 tablespoons of olive oil
- 2 bay leaves
- salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat up olive oil in a large pot. Once oil is hot, place carrots, onions, and celery. Cook down for 5-7 minutes.
- Add mushrooms, stir and cook for 3-4 minutes
- Add remaining vegetables
- Fill pot with water
- Bring to a simmer, cook for at least 90 minutes
- Salt and pepper to taste (note: I add a teaspoon of peppercorns)
- Once done, simmer through a fine mesh strainer. Enjoy as a cup of soup, add to your risotto, or freeze stock for future recipes.
Ready to make and freeze your own batch of easy vegan stock? Buy a Souper Cubes™ tray today!
Copyright Souper Products LLC 2018