This past summer, I had the opportunity to work at a camp in Maine. While there I met Ruth, who shared with me her famous granola recipe. She mentioned that she often prepares the wet ingredients in bulk and then freezers it in various containers and/or bags. This inspired me to make it at home and freeze the wet ingredients in one of my Souper Cubes® trays. I cannot wait to have this treat throughout the fall. My favorite part is that this recipe easily divides into 4 batches (1 batch = 3 cups of oats), which lets me change and customize the granola each time.
For the first batch of granola, I used oats, almonds, pecans, coconut, and chocolate chips. My favorite is using this granola for breakfast/snacks with a bowl of yogurt and honey.
How To Make Easy Homemade Pumpkin-Apple Granola
Step 1: Gather and prep Ingredients
Step 2: Mix all wet ingredients together in a bowl
Put everything but the oats, nuts, fruits, and/or chocolate chips in a bowl.
Step 3: Spread mix evenly in a single Souper Cubes® tray
For this recipe, I was able to make 4 cubes, each a ¾ cup.
Step 4: When you're ready to make the granola, defrost a single cube and add dry ingredients. Mix together.
You can defrost the cube in either a mug in the microwave or on the stove top. For this recipe, I added 3 cups of oats, a ½ cup of sliced almonds, a ½ cup of chopped pecans, and a ½ cup shredded coconut (unsweetened).
If you're going to add chocolate or dried fruit, mix it in after you've baked the granola. Make sure you let it cool before mixing together. I prefer mini chocolate chips to regular ones.
Step 5: Preheat oven to 325°F, then bake 30 minutes
I put my granola on parchment paper to make the cleanup easier. I also stirred the granola after 15 minutes.
Step 6: Enjoy!
This is great as a bowl of cereal or on top of yogurt!
Easy Homemade Granola with Pumpkin Puree and Apple Sauce
- 1-15oz can of pumpkin puree
- 1½ cups of apple sauce
- 3 tablespoons of oil (I used coconut oil)
- ¾ cup of brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons of cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon of ground ginger
- 1 teaspoon of ground nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon of salt
- 3 cups of rolled oats
- Optional Add-Ons: sliced almonds, chopped pecans, chocolate chips, dried cranberries, shredded coconut, chocolate chips, etc.
- Mix Ingredients. Mix pumpkin puree, apple sauce, oil, brown sugar, cinnamon, ground ginger, nutmeg, and salt in a bowl.
- Pour into Freezing Tray. Distribute wet mix evenly in a single Souper Cubes® tray. Cover with lid. This will yield 4 cubes that are roughly ¾ cup each. Freeze.
- Ready to Bake. When you're ready to make the granola, defrost 1 cube (in either a microwave or stovetop). Add 3 cups of rolled oats plus any of the optional add-ons. For my granola, I added a ½ cup of sliced almonds, ½ cup of chopped pecans, and a ½ cup of shredded coconut. Make sure the dry ingredients have an evening coating of the granola "sauce." Then bake granola in a 330F oven for 30 minutes. Make sure to stir every 10 minutes. Once it's finished baking, let the granola cool and add any dried fruit or chocolate.