Not too long ago, Jake and I were both heading out of town and needed to use up some of our veggies before they spoiled. I decided to make an experiment and see if I could batch cook my favorite and easy breakfast potato recipe for the freezer. Typically, even though this dish is so easy, it can easily take 30 minutes to prep and cook the breakfast potatoes. Now, we cook it in larger batches, freeze in 2cup portions for the two of us, and when we want some for breakfast... they're ready in less than five minutes.
Our breakfast potatoes include onions, potatoes, and carrots but you can definitely add bell peppers or sweet potatoes instead.
Full recipe and ingredients below.
1. Gather your ingredients
2. Peel and dice all veggies into small pieces, place in a bowl
If you prefer larger pieces of breakfast potatoes, just keep in mind that it will take slightly longer to cook.
3. Add spices + 2 tablespoons oil
We use Costco's no-salt seasoning because we're a low-sodium household and are obsessed with this spice mix. We also added a yummy paprika we found in a spice market while visiting Northern Israel. Mrs. Dash and Trader Joe's also sell a lot of seasoning mixes.
If you don't have any spice mixes on hand that you like, I recommend adding: garlic powder, salt & pepper, and paprika.
4. Mix ingredients together, heat skillet
Over medium-high heat, cook your breakfast potatoes in a skillet. We added an additional 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet before adding in the potatoes. Cook for 20-25 minutes. Stir occasionally. They're ready when you can easily pierce through the potatoes.
5. Serve with eggs, or freeze for later
Since we were going out of town, we placed the breakfast potatoes in our new 2cup trays to enjoy for later. We found that 2cup cubes is enough for the two of us. If you want to freeze in smaller portions, we recommend freezing in 1cup cubes.
To re-heat from the freezer, either thaw overnight in the fridge or microwave for 45 seconds. Then finish potatoes in a skillet for 3-4 minutes.
Michelle's Freezer-Friendly Breakfast Potatoes
- 1 yellow onion, peeled and diced
- 2 russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 carrots, peeled and diced
- 4 tablespoons oil (we use safflower or avocado oil)
- 1 teaspoon of spice mix
- 1 teaspoon of paprika (optional)
- Prep your ingredients. Peel and dice your onion, potatoes, and carrots. Place in a mixing bowl.
- Add spices. Add 1 teaspoon of spice mix + 1 teaspoon of paprika. Mix together with 2 tablespoons of oil.
- Cook breakfast potatoes. Place large skillet on stovetop over medium-high heat. Once hot, add 2 tablespoons of oil to the skillet. Then add potato mix. Don't stir for the first few minutes so that the breakfast potatoes can crisp up. After 5 minutes, reduce to medium heat and stir occasionally until ready. About 20+ minutes.
- Serve or freeze. We love serving our breakfast potatoes with eggs + turkey bacon to enjoy for breakfast. Otherwise, we freeze the leftovers in our Souper Cubes® 1cup and 2cup trays. To reheat, either thaw overnight in the fridge OR place in the microwave for 45 seconds. Then finish in a skillet for an additional 3 minutes to enjoy.
Be sure to check out our other freezer-friendly recipes
Buy your Souper Cubes® 2-cup trays today