Mini Crustless Breakfast Quiches
Growing up, my mom often made quiches and kept them in the fridge as an easy meal for our family during the week. I loved these quiches when I was younger but unfortunately, they did not make the transition into my adult life because I never learned to make them myself. After a trip Paris (land of the quiche lorraine), I realized that not having quiche on a regular basis was a mistake that could be easily remedied.
The Souper Cube® trays are the perfect size for crustless mini quiches and I can freeze them for later, when I want to pretend I'm at a fancy cafe in Europe. For this version, I used bacon, broccoli, mushrooms, and cheese but quiches can easily be customized with different meats, vegetables and cheeses. They can also be eaten for breakfast, lunch, or dinner - I recommend serving with some fresh fruit or a salad.
Possible Toppings for Quiche
- Bacon or sausage (make sure it's cooked before baking quiche)
- Chopped tomatoes
- Feta cheese, crumbled
- Cheddar cheese, shredded
- Jalapeno (remove seeds)
- Mushrooms, chopped
- Chives, Spring Onions, or Onions
- Spinach (I recommend sauteing or steaming before baking quiche)
Baking Quiches in Souper Cubes®
For this recipe, I ended up using the 1-cup trays. Depending on how much you'd like to make, you can also use the half-cup or 2-cup trays. It's important to make sure you don't fill the wells more than 2/3 of the way up as the quiche will expand as it's baking. If you use a half-cup or 2-cup tray, the cooking time will vary as this recipe was developed for the 1-cup tray.
If you're going to make one type of quiche, mix all the ingredients in the egg bowl and then fill each well.
If you're going to make several varities, first place the toppings in the well (fill about 1/4 of the way) and then add the egg mixture until about 1/2 cup.
How Do I Know When the Quiche is Fully Baked?
If the quiche is looking and feeling a bit wobbly, it needs for more time in the oven.
Once fully baked, it should be slightly firm.
Removing the Quiche from Souper Cubes
Once the quiche is baked through, you will want to wait about 10-15 minutes for it fully cool. Then, I recommend using a rubber or silicone spatula to loosen the quiche from the tray's wall.
Gently flip the tray over a cutting board or plate and push down on the bottom of each well. The quiche should pop out.
If you attempt to take the quiche out when it's still hot, it might fall apart.
How To Freeze Quiche
Once fully baked, let the quiche cool for 10-15 minutes. Then, use a rubber or silicone spatula to gently release the quiche from the walls of the Souper Cubes tray. Place lid on tray and freeze overnight.
Once frozen, leave in Souper Cubes tray or pop out each frozen quiche and place in a freezer-safe bag.
How to Reheat A Quiche from the Freezer or Refigerator
For best results, I'd recommend letting these thaw in the fridge (I did overnight) and then reheating in microwave for 2 minutes
Okay, let's get started!
First, gather and prep your ingredients
Prepare Meat (if using)A few notes about various meat types:
- Turkey bacon: I recommend using a small pan to cook turkey bacon as it can dry out in the oven. Add a small amount of butter or oil.
- Pork bacon: You can either cook in a pan or bake in a 350F oven.
- Uncooked Sausage: Cut into small pieces and cook in a small pan.
- Cooked Sausage: If the sausage is already cooked, simply cut it into small pieces and set aside in a bowl.
Regardless of the meat type you're using, make sure to let it cool before adding it to the egg mixture.
Make Egg Mixture
In a medium-sized bowl, you'll want to crack the eggs, milk, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Then whisk together.
If you're making one type of quiche, mix all the remaining toppings together in the egg bowl. Then pour into each Souper Cubes well, making sure not to fill it up more than half-way to the top. If using cheese, place on top of each quiche.
If you're making a variety of quiches, add the toppings directly into each well. Add enough toppings to fill to the 1/4 cup fill line. Then add the egg mixture into each well. Top with optional cheese.
Bake Quiche in 350F Oven Until Firm
Serve Quiche With Your Favorite Sides
Once quiche is fully cooked, let it sit in the Souper Cubes tray for 10-15 minutes. Loosen the sides of the quiche from the tray with a silicone or rubber spatula. Then flip the tray over and press on the bottom of each cube to pop out the quiche.
Serve for brunch with your favorite sides. I love including a fresh salad and side of seasonal fruit.
Mini Crustless Breakfast Quiche
Julie from Souper Cubes
- 10 large eggs
- ¼ cup of milk
- 4 strips of bacon or sausage
- ½ cup of finely chopped broccoli
- ½ cup of finely chopped mushrooms
- 1 cup of shredded cheddar cheese + ¼ cup for topping
- ½ teaspoons of garlic powder
- Salt & pepper to taste
Preheat Oven to 350F
Prepare Meat (if using)
- If using turkey bacon, chop four strips into small pieces and cook in a small pan over medium heat with a tablespoon of butter or oil.
- If using pork bacon, you can use the same pan method or bake in a 350F oven for 12-15 minutes. Cook turkey or pork bacon until warm but not fully crispy as it will cook more once in the quiche.
- If using uncooked sausage, cut into small pieces and cook using the small pan method. Let meat cool for 5-10 minutes before adding to egg mixture.
Make Egg Mixture
- In a large bowl, whisk 4 tablespoons of milk, ½ teaspoon of garlic powder, and 10 eggs together. Add salt and pepper to taste.
- If you are making one variety of quiche, add all toppings (4 pieces of bacon, ½ cup broccoli, ½ cup mushrooms, and 1 cup of the shredded cheddar cheese) to the egg mixture and fold in with spatula.
- If you’re making several types of quiches, first place toppings in each well (about 1/3 cup).
Place Egg Mixture into the Souper Cubes Tray®
- If the egg mixture already has the toppings, use a ladle to first fill up each well to about the ½ cup fill line. Then, evenly disperse the rest of the mixture evenly across trays. Alternatively, if making several types of quiche, first place toppings in each well (until about 1/3 full) and then fill with egg mixture (until about 2/3 full). The mixture should fill each well about 2/3 of the way as it will expand when baking.
Top With Cheese
- Evenly sprinkle the remaining cheese (¼ cup) across each well.
Bake Crustless Quiche
- Place Souper Cubes® tray in a 350F oven. Bake for 30 minutes until quiche is set and no longer wobbly.
- If eating immediately, let the quiches cool for about 10-15 minutes. Then gently flip the tray over and pop out the quiche by pressing down on the bottom of the well.
- If freezing to enjoy for later, let quiche completely cool, then place lid on top and freeze until frozen.