Rustic Instant Pot Vegetable Soup Recipe - Souper Cubes
Flu and cold season was especially brutal this year and unfortunately, I was one of the many people that got sick. Thankfully, I had some back-up soups at home but when I ran out of my freezer stash, I turned to Los Angeles classics like Matzo Ball Soup from Canter's Deli. Once I became tired of the Chicken Noodles and Matzo Ball soups around town (I was becoming more well-versed than I would like to admit), I found a new soup that really blew my mind. It was the vegetable soup from Joan's on Third.
After trying the soup, I knew I had to recreate it and mixed inspiration online (like this delicious looking recipe) with the flavors/ingredients I noticed when I ate the soup. I hope that this recipe will convince you that vegetable soup is a worthy competitor to the typical get well-soon soups.
Full ingredients and directions below.
Gather and Prep all your ingredients
If you're making this a vegetarian recipe, be sure to use vegetable-based broth.
Put minced garlic, onion and chopped vegetables into Instant Pot
Add diced tomatoes, beans, broth and dried seasonings (oregano, thyme, basil, red pepper, parsley, salt and pepper) and stir. Top with bay leaf and fresh rosemary.
If you have an herb bag, I would recommend putting the rosemary in that
Time to Turn On Your Instant Pot:
- Make sure the steam valve on the Instant Pot is set to sealing and press soup button on the Instant Pot.
- Then change the time to 10:00 minutes.
- Press Start.
Once the Insant Pot beeps:
- This means the soup is ready. Yay!
- Let the Instant Pot naturally release some of the pressure for about 10-15 minutes and then release the remaining pressure manually by switching the steam valve to venting (use cloth when releasing the pressure).
Serve while warm in a large bowl. Season with lemon juice, salt, and pepper. Then top with optional parmesan (to taste).
Freeze leftovers in Souper Cubes trays. Add salt, pepper, lemon juice, and parmesan cheese once cubes have been reheated.
Instant Pot Rustic Vegetable Soup
- 1 onion, minced
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 medium russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into small pieces
- 3-4 medium carrots, chopped into small pieces
- 3 stalks of celery, chopped into small pieces
- 1 cup of green beans, chopped
- 1-15 oz can of great white northern beans, drained
- 1-28 oz can diced tomatoes
- 4 cups broth (vegetable, chicken, or bone broth all work)
- ½ cup water
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp basil
- ¼ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp parsley
- ¼ tsp red chili flakes
- 2 sprigs of rosemary
- 1 bay leaf
- Shredded parmesan to taste
- Optional: 1 lemon
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Put minced garlic, onion and chopped vegetables into Instant Pot
- Add diced tomatoes, beans, broth and dried seasonings (oregano, thyme, basil, red pepper, parsley, salt and pepper) and stir. Top with bay leaf and fresh rosemary. If you have an herb bag, I would recommend putting the rosemary in that
- Make sure the top nob on the Instant Pot is set to sealing and press soup button on the Instant Pot. Set time to 10:00 minutes. Press Start.
- Leave soup with natural pressure release for about 10-15 minutes after it’s done cooking then manual release (use cloth when releasing the pressure)
- If eating immediately, season with salt and pepper and parmesan to taste. Add lemon juice (one small wedge per cup) if desired. If freezing, just add the salt and pepper to taste and ladle into Souper Cubes. Add parmesan and lemon once defrosted and heated through.