Souper Cubes FAQs
Can't find the answer you are looking for? Below we've shared some of our most frequently asked questions to help you out!
Q: Where are Souper Cubes® made?
A: Souper Cubes® are designed in California and manufactured in China in a factory that pays fair wages and has safe working conditions.
Q: What are Souper Cubes® made from?
A: Our trays are made from 100% food-grade silicone and are BPA free. Our lids are made from Polypropylene Plastic (PP), which is also BPA free.
Q: Are Souper Cubes® dishwasher safe?
A: Yes, both the trays and lids are dishwasher safe. We recommend using the dishwasher to clean your Souper Cubes® trays and lids as the best way to make sure they are as clean as possible.
Q: Can I bake in my Souper Cubes®?
A: Yes, you can bake in your Souper Cubes®. The trays are oven-safe up to 415F. The lids are not oven safe.
Q: What are good ways to remove odor from the trays?
A: We have never had any residual smells or odors even though we’ve been using the same tray for over two years to freeze foods with garlic, onions, tomatoes, ginger, cumin, and other spices/ingredients. We always recommend using a dishwasher to clean your Souper Cubes®. If you do not have access to one, then clean with soap and hot water. Still have a slight smell in the trays? You can try a baking soda plus vinegar wash as well as baking it in a 350F oven for 30 minutes.
Q: Do Souper Cubes® stain?
A: Souper Cubes trays should be rather stain resistant. In fact they have been tested by a third party laboratory for stain resistance and passed. However, slight staining over a long period of use can happen and is not considered unusual. The best way to make sure that staining does not occur or stays to a minimum is by washing your Souper Cubes® tray and lid in the dishwasher after each use.
If your trays do get stained one recommended method for removing the staining elements is to cover the stain in a 3% hydrogen peroxide solution for 24 hour. Cooks Illustrated has recommended this technique and done testing that shows it is successful. https://www.cooksillustrated.com/how_tos/8614-removing-stains-from-silicone-spatulas
Q: How big is each tray?
A: The dimensions of each tray are consistent on the length and width as they can all use the same lid, but vary in height. The dimensions of each tray is as follows:
Half-cup: 11.5” X 5.5” X 2.13”
1-cup: 11.5” X 5.5” X 2.875”
2-cup: 11.5” X 5.5” X 2.875”
Q: How big are the cubes in each Souper Cubes® tray?A: Here are the dimensions for each of our cubes:
- Half-cup: 1.18” X 4.13” X 1.93”
- 1-cup: 2.13” X 4.3” X 2.31”
- 2-cup: 4.13” X 4.3” X 2.31”
Q: How do you store your food once it’s frozen?
A: Allow your food to cool a bit before placing it in your Souper Cubes® tray. This helps to reduce any thawing of adjacent foods in the freezer and the build up of condensation on the lid of the Souper Cubes tray. Once cool, place the lid on your tray and set it on a flat surface/shelf in the freezer. Allow up to 24 hour for the food to freeze depending on the temperature of your freezer and the food type. Once the food is frozen, remove it from the freezer and let it sit on the counter for 2 minutes (this makes it a bit easier to remove the cubes). To remove the frozen cubes from the tray, simply hold the rim and push up from the bottom of each cube. The cube should come right out pretty easily. Place up to eight cups’ worth of food ( eight 1-cup cubes or four 2-cup cubes) in to a gallon-size freezer bag. The bag should be just big enough to seal with all of the cubes inside. Label the bag with a permanent marker so you know what you’re looking at later. Wash your Souper Cubes trays and lid, preferably in the dishwasher to get them ready for the next use.
Q: Why do Souper Cubes trays seem so expensive?
A: With Souper Cubes, we set out to create a high-quality product that would perform in the kitchen and last a long time leading. Our customers view their Souper Cubes purchase as an investment that will continue to perform in the kitchen for a long time. This provides the benefits of a significant reduction in food waste and spend and many more delicious meals at home.
- Construction: Souper Cubes trays are made using 100% FDA food grade silicone that is thicker than the silicone you will find in other trays. We designed the silicone to be thick to help the trays last a long time. We wanted to build a high quality cook’s tool and we feel that we have succeeded. We still use the original prototype in our own kitchen. Souper Cubes trays also use a high quality thick stainless steel wire inside the rim of the tray to make it extra sturdy so that the tray does not collapse when you take it to the freezer. This steel adds extra cost both in materials and in the form of labor in the manufacturing process.
- Labor: Souper Cubes trays are produced in a factory that has certifications for good labor practices. Workers there are paid over 4 times the minimum wage for factory workers in China. Every step of making a Souper Cubes tray with the exception of the molding is done by hand. From wrapping the stainless steel wire rim, to trimming and visually inspecting each piece, this shows in the quality of the finished product. We have been to the factory in person and seen each step in the process of making a Souper Cubes tray and can attest to the safe working conditions in the factory.
- Shipping and handling costs: Shipping and handling costs add to the overall cost of every item. Part of these high fees is due to the size of the trays themselves. Souper Cubes trays are large and heavy because of their high quality construction, steel rim, and the amount of liquid/food that they can hold. We provide free shipping and handling on all orders of 2 trays or more.
- Size and a comparison: Compare Souper Cubes trays to an ice tray of similar construction with a steel rim and independent compartments that allow for easy release. The Souper Cubes 1-cup and 2-cup trays have more than double the food capacity of these other trays making them by far the better deal.
Q: Who are the creators of Souper Cubes?
A: Michelle and Jake, wife and husband, are the creators of Souper Cubes®. Michelle is a seasoned educator turned accidental entrepreneur currently working on her PhD in Higher Education. Jake is a product leader and veteran of the Silicon Valley tech world. He holds a PhD in Electrical Engineering. Our friend and partner Sasan who has a background in manufacturing and import/export completes our Souper team.