What if you could ease the stress of cooking in winter by having the coziest meals available in your home - without all the day-to-day fuss? Plus we all know that while the coziest cold-weather recipes make winter warner, they oftentimes call for giant batches, whether for soups or stews, meaning an abundance of comfort food but also plenty of leftovers that can be hard to manage or get through in time. By using Souper Cubes® trays to freeze your favorite cozy meals ahead of time, you can extend their shelf life and have your favorite comfort food ready and waiting to warm you up all season! And because our trays freeze your food in perfect portions, you can easily reheat your cozy creations one serving at a time, without having to worry about those leftovers - eating the same thing over and over or rushing through the entire dish before it turns. All things considered, meal prep in winter with Souper Cubes® also means fewer trips out in the cold to the grocery store, more coziness from more comfort food available, and easier mealtimes when the winter blues strike.
Here's how to make sure you're properly prepped and souper-stocked for the season!
Tips for Keeping Your Kitchen Winter-Ready
Stock up on in-season veggies and fruits
You can even freeze, dehydrate, or can them to increase their longevity.
- Winter Veggies: Allium bulbs (onions, shallots, garlic), broccoli, cabbage, carrots, cauliflower, collards, sweet potatoes, turnip greens, winter squash
- Winter Fruits: Apples, grapefruit, kiwis, lemons, oranges, persimmons
Have a prepped pantry
Keep shelf-stable goods in supply, such as:
- Canned or boxed broths, beans, pasta, rice
*Note: Drying fresh herbs can be a great way to be prepared for winter cooking too. You can hang-dry them or dry them in the oven:
- Oregano, parsley, cilantro, rosemary, chives, thyme
Have the proper Souper Cubes® tools
- No-Mess Utensils - Perfect for those cozy soups and stews.
- 1-Cup and 2-Cup trays - These will be key in the preparation and freezing of your comfort meals.
- Stoneware - Holds two 1-cup portions or one 2-cup portion perfectly. Ideal for baking and reheating your winter dishes!
How to Have Cozy Comfort Meals on Hand With Souper Cubes®
Get ready for an easier season filled with cozy, nourishing meals! Here are our tips on how to make, freeze, and store your make-ahead meals for winter:
Plan and prep.
Gather some of your favorite (or new) cold-weather recipes (see our favorites below)! Soups, stocks, and stews all freeze well, but pay attention to any freezing instructions your recipes may have. Avoid choices with high water content, like lettuce or cucumbers, as they may become mushy upon thawing. Be prepared to set aside a day or two for prepping and freezing your cozy meals.
Embrace the art of cooking in bulk during winter. This can ease your wallet and ensure you have an abundance of cozy meals available in your freezer. Portion your large batches into our 1-Cup or 2-Cup trays, and you'll have perfect servings that are ready to go!
Let it cool.
After preparing your warm meal, be sure to let it full cooly, even if that means sticking it in the fridge for a bit, before freezing in your Souper Cubes® trays.
Through the long winter, memories of what you once made fresh can easily begin to fade. By labeling and categorizing your cubes and trays (our Kitchen Tape works perfectly), you'll have a neat selection of your cozy comfort dishes, making mealtime that much easier.
Thoughts on thawing.
No one wants to wait around when the winter hunger strikes! Transfer your frozen food to the refrigerator the night before, or simply reheat in the oven (without the lid), stovetop or microwave (pop your food out of the trays first). For more on how to thaw, you can visit our Ultimate Meal Prep Guide.
Our Favorite Winter Recipes
Savor the season with these Souper Cubes-friendly and delightfully cozy winter recipes!
- Coconut Curry Butternut Squash Soup with Chickpeas - Souper Cubes®
- Easy Chicken Tortilla Soup - Souper Cubes®
- Individual Freezer Meatloaf - Souper Cubes®
- Delicious and Easy Lentil Soup (Vegan friendly) - Souper Cubes®
- Easy and Cozy Vegetarian Shepherds Pie - Souper Cubes®
- One-Pot Chicken Chili with White Corn Recipe - Souper Cubes®